- Timezone: America/New_York
- Date: Dec 08 2022
- Time: 4:00 am - 5:00 am
- Dec 08 2022
- 11:00 am - 12:00 pm
#WCEF2022 side event: JUST2CE, working towards an inclusive and just transition to Circular Economy
Register here: https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_qQ5rP0W_Tg6HibhmBJNwiA
Time: 11.00-12.00 (GMT+2, Kigali time)
Note that the event will take place at 10.00 (GMT+1) European/Madrid time
The Circular Economy (CE) has recently become a new frontier within the discourse and political economy of industrial production, resource efficiency and sustainable development. Practitioners see the CE as a new paradigm that is able to square the circle of economysociety- nature interactions, replacing the current linear economic model with a new one that is restorative and regenerative by intention and design. While abundant literature on CE principles is starting to appear, the translation of such concepts into practical economic initiatives produces very diverse outcomes, which are also underpinned by competing ideological perspectives.
JUST2CE is an EU-funded action, implemented by a consortium of European and African universities and organizations, aims at understanding, in a critical and thoughtful way, under which conditions a responsible, inclusive and socially just transition to a circular economy is possible and desirable, what technical, geopolitical and social factors can enable or hamper such transformation and how these aspects can contribute to the development of transitional policy measures.
The thematic session will explore the concept of Circular Economy and what transitioning to a Circular Economy implies for North/South relations. Panellists will reply to a set of key questions, presenting the topic with a multi-disciplinary approach. Speakers will focus on the political economy and geopolitics of the transition to Circular Economy and how existing power relations might hamper this much needed transition. They will discuss grounded alternatives to reconfigure North/South relations to achieve a just and inclusive transition to Circular Economy and how cooperation on research and innovation is critical to improve global wellbeing, foster good governance and enhance participation to policy-making processes.
- Moderation: Mr. Alessandro Miraglia, MedWaves, the UNEP/MAP Regional Activity Centre for SCP.
- Key-note speech: Dr. Takunda Yeukai Chitaka, ACEN
- Thematic Contribution 1, JUST2CE Technology of Humility : Dr. Mario Pansera, Post-growth Lab, University of Vigo.
- Thematic Contribution 1, JUST2CE Lowerland: Prof. Kosheek Sewchurran, University of Cape Town.
- Thematic Contribution 2, JUST2CE Agbogbloshie : Dr. Keren Naa Abeka Arthur, University of Cape Coast.
- Thematic Contribution 3, Effects of Circular Economy Transition on Low- and Middle-Income Countries, Mr. Paul Lucas, Senior Policy Analyst PBL Netherlands Environmental Assessment Agency
- Thematic Contribution 4, Decolonizing Circular Economy : Dr. Andrea Jimenez / Dr. Emanuela Girei, University of Sheffield.
Register now: https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_qQ5rP0W_Tg6HibhmBJNwiA